Sunday, December 28, 2014

Homemade Cleaner Crackers in 15 minutes or less!

With the new year approaching, I see a lot of people are ready to make a change in how they eat.  I can relate.  That is why I started this blog earlier this year.  Well that and for myself too to remember all the cleaner eating creations I come up with. (haha)  Today I made one of our weekly soups(white bean and kale) for our lunches and thought to myself I wish there were a better cracker or something to go with it.  So, naturally I got in the kitchen to see what I could come up with.  




Ingredients:
(Yields 30 or so crackers)


  • 1 cup of oat flour (ground from steel cut oats or old fashioned oats)
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 1 tbsp. of ground fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 1 tbsp. of olive oil
  • Optional: Chia seeds
  • Optional: Onion powder




That's it!







First Break out that ninja or whatever tool you have to grind down your oats into a flour.  Then follow the method below!







       Method:

  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well blended.  Make sure your dough is good and sticking together forming a ball. 
  2. On a board, put an additional tablespoon or so of flour. 
  3. Put your dough out and roll it to it about 1/4 in thick with your rolling pin.
  4. Cut into squares.
  5. Top with any additional things you want. I.e. chia seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, Cajun powder, etc.
  6. Put on a baking sheet and bake at 450 for about 10-12 minutes or until the corners turn brown.




If you want a sweet kind of cracker, add a tbsp. of honey or maple syrup and some cinnamon. :)

These crackers are so easy to make, and so delicious! They may only store for a couple or so days because they are fresh made. Although in my house, they only last a few hours ;)

Enjoy these crackers with one of my soup recipes, hummus, guacamole, or just by themselves for a healthy snack to get you through the day!




 
 Here you see my dough rolled out to about 1/8- 1/4 in thin. I topped my crackers off with chia seeds. Chia seeds are ridiculous healthy folks! You can find them in the bulk section of your grocery store or at Whole Foods(here in central Arkansas, you will probably have to take the trip to WF).  I think my next batch I will top them with some raw sunflower seeds.  








Final product! 
These crackers are definitely thick enough or strong enough for you to pack on some hummus or dip of choice (healthy dip).  I have a couple of recipes listed on my blog earlier in the year for a ranch type of dip, guacamole, and a hummus recipe :)  
Enjoy Friends!
Cheers everyone and good luck on your cleaner eating journey! Remember, if you ever have any questions, I am here to answer them!



No comments:

Post a Comment