Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chicken and Quinoa Casserole = Happy Bellies!

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a great week so far!  I have been very busy, but very blessed with cool new opportunities lately that I am still pinching myself daily to make sure it's all true :)  Can't complain one bit about any one thing, so life is peachy. 

Today, my post will be something that will surely be a crowd pleaser in any home.  I don't post many blogs with meat in the recipe, so today should be a recipe most of you all can try and not hear many complaints, or any I hope!

Now, who doesn't love the good old fashioned chicken and rice casserole our mothers or grandmothers would make us?  They use Campbell's cream soup, cheese, butter, and some even top it with Ritz crackers--yummy right? Yes! I could eat a whole dish to myself!

Well, this is not THAT recipe! Ha ha, so quit dreaming! It's one even better :) It's a chicken and quinoa casserole that is sure to quench that nostalgic longing for the traditional recipe we all love. I promise :)


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup quinoa (prepare just as you do rice-1 cup quinoa 2 cups of water, cook until done)
  • 1 cup of cooked and shredded chicken (or more if you like)(I do boil my chicken with celery, onions and a bay leaf for flavor and about 1 tbsp. of salt)
  • 1 cup of cooked broccoli (or sweet peas)
  • 1-2 cup of homemade cream of celery soup*recipe below*
  • 1/2 cup of chicken broth (I boiled 3 chicken legs, used the chicken and the homemade broth for the casserole)
  • 1 tsp. of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. of pepper
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella for topping

Method:

Prepare you quinoa, chicken, and cream soup as required. Once all components are done, put together in a bowl.  Add all ingredients listed above, stir until well blended.  Put in casserole 8x8 casserole dish, top with shredded cheese, bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.  Done, easy, delicious, healthy! Everyone is happy. Good grains, meat for protein, & veggies!


*For the cream of celery soup:     

  • 1/4. of sunflower oil
  • 1/4 of whole grain flour
  • 1/2 cup of milk or half-n-half
  • 1 cup of chicken broth(used from boiling my own chicken)
  • 1/2 cup of celery (cooked first until soft)
  • 1/4 cup of onion (cooked first until soft)
  • 1-2 tsp. of salt
  • 1/2 tsp. of pepper
  • 1 tsp. of garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. of onion powder
You're going to start by making a rue.  In a sauce pan, heat your oil and add the flour to the oil.  Brown this for about 5 minutes. Then add your milk and chicken broth.  Stir constantly to break up the flour and so that it doesn't burn. Add your seasonings as listed.  Let simmer for 5 minutes.  Then add your cooked celery and onion.  Let simmer for about another 5-10 minutes.  This should thicken up to about the consistency of a gravy.  If it doesn't get quite that thick, don't fret. It'll still work!   Make sure it's to your taste as far as saltiness.  Soup is done.

 



Now, this cream soup is so delicious I had to stop myself from eating it straight from the pan. Seriously!  My husband was in love at first taste as well! 
Canned soups have MSG, a ton of sodium among other mystery ingredients that are NO GOOD for you! So, I encourage you to make your own. It's delicious! And it's simple!  I made double this recipe. I actually made this up in my little brain, and I'm quite proud of it :)


So yummy!!  This made 6 servings for us:)


Hungry yet?


Please enjoy this yummy, family friendly, super healthy recipe created by yours truly!  This is definitely a new staple in our house.  I use to make your traditional chicken and rice but would try to make it healthier.  This one is definitely about as clean as you can get any casserole dish...unless you omit the cheese.. but you gotta live a little right? :)  Enjoy folks!




No comments:

Post a Comment