Friday, February 21, 2014

BBQ Chicken Sammy Clean'er' Style

Today's post is definitely more of a clean'er' recipe than a clean recipe. It's also very simple. This was our "cheat" meal last weekend, which still came in under 500 calories for the meal. Yes. Ha. The cheat here for me was I used store bought bbq sauce-I know you're disappointed! But I couldn't see making the sauce with the schedule we have going right now, so instead I bought a bottle-forgive me?
As I have stated before, some posts will be clean, some will be cleaner-this is just a cleaner version of the fatty, calorie packed bbq sandwich that you can do from home, and get that fix for "real bbq". 


Man, this was so good, seeing it again makes me hungry!

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 a chicken breast was plenty for Aaron & me both a sandwich.  I bought organic chicken from Whole Foods-boneless and skinless. So, if you have a family of 4-one whole breast should do..so on and so on.
  • 1 tsp. of garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. of onion powder
  • dash of salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Sautee your chicken breast with seasonings, shred and top with minimal bbq sauce (to save the calories, sugar, other mystery ingredients). Again, I know it's not great of me to use store bought sauce, but this is a blog about "cleaner" versions of meals for you and your family. :)

 
 
As you see, I also bought a pre-made loaf of bread from Whole Foods. This is fresh, preservative free bread. I recommend if you are going to eat bread, buy it from the fresh bakery department from your grocery store.  I'm sure you've all seen the news lately with they hype around the bread companies using the yoga mat ingredient...well, avoid buying the breads that are able to set on a shelf for weeks without spoiling.  When you buy fresh, it only lasts a couple of days or so.  I do refrigerate mine and it lasts a bit longer. 
 
Anyhow, I simply sliced a thin slice and made an open face sandwich to avoid the extra bread in my diet.  We are mostly bread free people, but on occasion, I.e. cheat meal time, we will have some..after all, it's so yummy!!
 


Slice up some sweet potatoes, throw them in a bowl with a tad bit of sunflower oil, salt and pepper-I even use garlic powder here- and bake them for 30 minutes at 350. Perfect side to this yummy, open-faced, cleaner style bbq chicken sandwich.  This is a great treat and great substitute to your usual bbq sandwich. 
We are southerners after all, we need our bbq from time to time!  Enjoy this cleaner meal idea.  We certainly do!


No comments:

Post a Comment