Monday, February 3, 2014

Cleaner brownies a la mode-Yes please!

Tonight's experiment was one that I have been wanting to try for a long time.. I've read multiple recipes and descriptions of the infamous black bean brownie.  Well, I was hesitant to try this food. Just doesn't sound great.  But, I started making garbanzo bean chocolate chip cookies a while ago and they are one of my absolute favorite ways to make chocolate chip cookies, so I began to think, well why not try the ole bean brownie recipe?  So, I did.  One promise I will make, ok wait, 2 promises about this dessert are: 1. They do NOT taste like black beans AT ALL. 2. The banana "nice cream" does not taste like one big banana. Promise. 

Now, all the black bean brownie recipes that I found still included sugar. Well what is the freakin point in that? I'll just make the real thing if I am still going to use sugar! Right? This made me angry and determined to make it even cleaner by using something natural.  I made a cleaner version of all the black bean brownie recipes I found. Hilarious. I cleaned up a clean recipe. Haha. I have outdone myself! 

Look at this yummy dessert! Totally guilt free!!



Ready for my recipe?

Brownies: (made 12-2 x 2 brownies)

1 cup of black beans (unseasoned, drained and strained) (I cooked mine from dry and cooked some extra because I am doing black bean burgers tomorrow night!)
1/4 cup of Honey(raw)
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1/4 cup of chopped pecans
2 tbsp. of coconut oil
1 tbsp. of flax seeds ground
2 eggs
1/4 cup of 60% dark chocolate chips are optional.  However, I didn't do any this time.

Directions:
Take your clean beans and all other ingredients(except the nuts) and throw them in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  Then throw in your nuts and pour into an 8x8 pan that you have greased with a little extra coconut oil.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Now, the "a la mode" comes from my banana "nice cream" that I posted about in my blog "5 uses to use that unwanted ripe banana". 



Simply take a slightly over ripe banana, one with just a few black spots on it-not completely black, peel it, slice it, and freeze it in a bag.  Once frozen, put it in a blender or food processor, add about 1 tbsp. of milk and 1 tsp. or so of cinnamon and blend it until creamy. (1 medium banana makes about 1 cup of the nice cream)
 
Now, if you think for one second "My kids are not gonna like that"..Oh, yes they will! AND best part is it's only bananas!! Super healthy. Super delish! We eat this all by itself all the time! 105 calories for the "nice cream". Can't. Beat. That. :)
 
 
My husband allowed this mess to happen, so my husband cleaned her and the mess up! :)
 
 
Now, for the best part! If you come out with 12 brownies like I did, they are only 87.5 calories each!  2 grams of fat & 4 g of protein.  Mind you, these 2 grams of fat are HEALTHY fats from the coconut oil, eggs, and pecans. Yes. Yes. Yes.  The "nice cream" is 105 calories.  And the three of us split the serving (it makes about 1 cup).  So, for us, we each consumed about 115 calories for our Cleaner Brownie A La Mode! Enjoy this one people!
Thanks for reading! Good day to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment