Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Cleaner PB n Jelly Sandwiches


This recipe I created today was one that was jokingly requested by my "momma" on Facebook after she posted to me that her lunch was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and M&M's.  She asked me how to "clean up" that lunch.  Well, being who I am and that I have to be right, at least most of the time, I decided to see what I could come up with.  Now, I must warn you, this is not a sandwich because I don't do a lot of bread in my diet.  What I did is a peanut butter and jelly wrap of sorts.  I made my own wrap, my own peanut butter, and my own jelly.  Now, I will also warn you, this recipe is bordering more clean, than cleaner.  It did require a little bit of work, but it was so worth it.  The jelly you buy at the store is TERRIBLE for you.  No matter how they market it to you, it contains a ton of sugar, and there is no trace of any of the nutrients from the fruit.  I'm not judging you for eating this or giving it to your children, however I hope you at least try this new solution to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  It also makes extra so you can store it.  The recipe I will include below, will not make a bulk amount but this can easily be doubled or tripled!

I'll start with a photo so you can see how delicious this is. If only you could smell my kitchen while I was making this wrap (which is basically a crepe or a thin pancake).


Ok, I'll start with the recipe for the wrap:
(this is for 1 wrap, so multiply this recipe as you see fit)

1/4 cup of oats ground into a flour
1 tsp. of honey
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1 egg (I actually only used some of the egg white and stored the rest of the egg for me to use tonight to make supper-stay tuned to next blog for that info.)
1 tsp. of melted coconut oil
2 tbsp. of milk
1 tsp. of vanilla






That's it. Mix it up, and cook just as you would a pancake. Except, swirl this batter around in your pan until it thins out.  I even used a spoon to smear it around so the wrap comes out thin like a tortilla.




For the homemade peanut butter:
Now, if you want to buy your own peanut butter, do so.  Just make sure to buy the all natural peanut butter without all the added stuff to it.  It should have the oil sitting on top of the peanut butter and will say on the front of the container that you need to stir it.  Do stir.

Method on making your own peanut butter is ridiculous easy! EASY.  If you have food processor, all you do is simply buy your peanuts and throw them in your processor, turn it on and walk away. Literally.  It will take about 5+ minutes for it to grind and become creamy.  I bought already roasted peanuts, actually I splurged and bought honey roasted. 


If you buy raw peanuts, roast them in a pan for a few minutes before.  Or if you want to make raw peanut butter, you can do this too, it just may take a few more minutes to process into a peanut butter.


Your peanut butter will look like this photo.  It will be creamy and delicious! And the best
part is you know exactly what went into it!
Like I said, you can blend this whole bag into a peanut butter. This bag of nuts cost me $2.99 and made 3.5 cups of peanut butter. That's cheaper than buying a good jar of peanut butter!  You can store the excess in a tupperware bowl or a jar in the fridge.
 
Now for the jelly portion of this recipe:
All I did was puree some strawberries. That's it.  I tcame out a little runny, so here I would recommend pulsing the strawberries just until they are at a finely chopped consistency.  Although my puree did taste yummy, I recommend keeping some texture to the fruit.  If you don't want to process them, you could also just slice some fresh strawberries in place of the jelly on the wrap. I think it would be great! And again, you aren't feeding yourself or your kiddos anything other than strawberries!
Now, take your
wrap/crepe/pancake, and layer each
ingredient. I spooned down a tsp. of honey first.

 After you get it layered up, it should look about like this, unless you just used sliced berries. But I'm sure you get the point.
 
 
This was so good, just looking at the photos again makes me want to make another!
 

So, there you have it. My cleaner version of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Like I said before, this is actually more of a clean version.  I did this one about as healthy as you can possibly imagine!

This whole peanut butter wrap contains under 250 calories. Yep! and only 10 grams of sugar from the strawberries & honey! Yup. Good sugars :)

 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment