Thursday, April 3, 2014

Rice & Broccoli Cakes-My New Favorite Creation!

So, I usually blog on Mondays now that my life is so busy with several work projects, school work, being Sophie's mommy, being my husbands wife, being a maid for my home, and being a chef for my family. (I am very blessed, so I am not complaining one bit)  But when I tasted this creation that I made for our supper last night, I could not wait to get the word out to you guys! This recipe was created in a panic of sorts when I realized I didn't have any quinoa left for supper, or enough rice to split between the 3 of us.  I had 1/4 cup of rice for 3 people who love rice. (No pun intended since my last name is Rice-ha)

I mentioned a few blogs back about my husbands sudden food allergies.  We thought it was gluten, and it's not.  We then thought it was dairy, and we still aren't sure, but we do know now he had a reaction to apples. Yes apples! Crazy.  So, reason I say all that is, I didn't include any cheese in this recipe, but I am sure it would be delightful if you added some cheese in there and still a healthy recipe if you use some skim mozzarella.


Oh yea! Delicious looking right?? Well, the photo doesn't do any justice!  These little rice cakes are full of flavor and completely and crazy healthy for you!

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup of cooked rice (you could definitely use quinoa here too)
  • 6 good sized broccoli florets chopped pretty fine
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup of oat flour(I didn't grind it down too fine, I left it pretty coarse)
  • 1 tsp. of garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. of pepper
*Like I said, you could totally throw in 1/4 cup of mozzarella in here and it'd be great!

Method:

Cook your rice, and steam your broccoli.  I cooked my broccoli in the microwave in water for about 5 minutes.  Drain the water and squeeze as much water out of the broccoli as possible. 

Then either throw the broccoli in your processor or chop on your chopping board until pretty fine.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl.  Once mixed well, form into patties.

Throw some good oil in a pan, about 1-2 tbsp. (I recently splurged for some good Olive oil, but you can use sunflower too)



See, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.  You don't want to "fry" these cakes. You just want enough oil to cook them in.  Place your patties in your shallow amount of oil and cook until brown on each side. (about 5 minutes each side-cook on medium heat)



As you see, this recipe makes 7 decent size rice cakes. 
 

 
I can't stress enough how good this recipe is! It was an accident too :) ha ha. Just needed to do something with the 1/4 cup of rice I had. :)

 
This is such an easy recipe to make too! I would rate it beginner level for sure.   
As always, thank you all for reading!! I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did! It will be in our menu at least once a week :)



No comments:

Post a Comment