Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Perfect Soup For Spring!

Spring is here and summer is near!  So many people believe that once it starts warming up outside that soup is off the menu.  In this house, we eat soup and chili all year long.  I've never understood why people find those to be seasonal meals.  I mean, every meal you eat is cooked hot and ready right? So why is soup any different?  So, despite all the spring/summer soup haters, I am posting my newest obsession: great northern bean and kale soup!  Actually, I am posting a 3 bean rendition of my great northern bean soup because I made it tonight for the week's lunches and I didn't have enough white beans, so I improvised and used 1/3 white beans or great northern beans, 1/3 pinto beans and 1/3 red kidney beans.  Needless to say, this is one healthy soup!  And I must say, this 3 bean version might actually trump the original recipe I came up with! 

Here are a few little health facts on beans for you all. 

Kidney beans and pinto beans are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other beans. In addition to lowering cholesterol, kidney beans and pinto beans high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia.
People who have high intakes of legumes/beans are at 82% less risk for heart attack! (Beans, beans, good for the heart indeed! hehe)
1 cup of great northern beans supplies 21% of your required iron intake daily, 48% of your daily fiber, and 20% of your potassium.

These facts alone should convince you to make this soup!  Beans are also low in fat and high in protein!

Photo for convincing? Ok. :)


Yum Yum-Cook You Some!
 
As I have mentioned before, I cook a big pot of soup on Sunday night for lunch for Monday through Wednesday.  Then another pot on Wednesday night for Thursday and Friday.  Aaron takes some to work and Sophie and I eat it daily for our lunch as well. 
This is a great way to:
a.)always eat a healthy lunch
b.)save a ton of money on eating out while you are at work, and...
c.)your lunch is already prepared for the week, so you save yourself from worrying about one more detail in life-what to eat for lunch!
 
 
Okie doke, recipe time!
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup dry great northern beans
  • 1 cup dry pinto beans
  • 1 cup dry kidney beans
  • 1 tbsp. of salt
  • 4 cloves of garlic
 
Cook all three types of beans and seasonings in one big pot for about 1.5-2 hours or until they are tender.  I always throw a few cloves of garlic in with my beans while they are cooking for flavor. 
 
Now, on the side in a sauté pan cook until tender:
 
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 3 carrots sliced
  • 1 onion sliced
  • 1 cob of corn-I cut the kernels off and threw them in. You can also use a can, drained.
  • 2 tomatoes cubed
  • 1 tbsp. of garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp. of onion powder
 
Once all these vegetables are tender and the beans are cooked through, drain the beans, but do NOT wash them.  Put all ingredients back into the pot you cooked your beans in, fill with 2-3 cups of water.  Add another tsp. or so of salt to your taste and 1 tsp. of pepper or to taste to season the soup broth.  Simmer on medium-low heat for 20 minutes just to marry all the vegetables in flavor. 
That's it! Easy as that. :)
 
 
 
Doesn't that look delicious?
Super healthy. Super easy. Inexpensive.  And so very yummy!
 
Now, I have made this soup several times with my homemade bone chicken broth as the base and personally, I recommend that the most if you have some chicken bone broth.  You can use some free range chicken broth from a carton if you prefer and I know the flavors will be great!
 
Please try this one folks!  I most definitely encourage you to follow my soup lunch train :)  This is an easy way to maintain a healthier lifestyle and stay on a cheaper food budget.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment