Monday, January 20, 2014

43% Cacao Chocolate Chip Cookies

I titled this one 43% Cacao Chocolate Chip Cookies because I want to make a point about chocolate and the benefits it can hold.  Even with chocolate, these cookies can be considered clean"er" food.  Here's why:
 
*Chocolate contains essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A. B1, C, D, and E.
 
*Cocoa is also the highest natural source for Magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is linked with hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, joint problems and pre-menstrual tension (PMT or PMS). 
 
*It's a fact that plain dark chocolate products containing a minimum 43% or more cocoa solids are the healthiest and the best way to satisfy a craving for chocolate, without consuming too much sugar and saturated fat or HVO. 

The kind of dark chocolate that I buy is a bit pricier, but with that comes better ingredients that allow you to maintain that "cleaner" status to the food.  It does contain sugar, 8 g per tbsp.  Other ingredients are Belgian unsweetened chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, vanilla and soy lecithin.  That's it.  Just a few ingredients.  When shopping for this sweet treat I decided to allow in tiny increments, I researched the different bags of chocolate chips at the store.  Other, cheaper chocolates contained a ton of other ingredients that were chemically enhanced and created to taste like chocolate.  Literally twice the amount of ingredients than the bag I purchased.  I feel I made a smart decision, that allows me to keep my love of chocolate in my life.  After all, YOLO right? :) 

Ok..enough information.. You ready for the best "cleaner" chocolate chip cookie you've ever put in that mouth of yours?  Here ya go!



 Ingredients:
3/4 cup of oat flour (grind oats into flour)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. of ground flax seeds
1 tbsp. of finely ground espresso beans(I accidentally used hazelnut coffee beans and omg...best happy accident ever!)
1/2 tsp of baking powder
2 tbsp. of honey
1 tbsp. of pb2 or natural peanut butter
1 egg
1/4 cup of 43% cacao dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup pecans(optional but recommended)

Method:
Basically, throw it all in together..All at once! Mix well, then put onto an oiled(coconut oil) cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Done! Eat! Enjoy! Yummy!
**Note-these don't mix up like a thick cookie dough. They are kinda runny, but a thick runny..make sense. No? Here's a photo of how they will look raw, before baking.



Be sure to watch these.  All ovens cook at different speeds.  I baked mine for about 9 to 10 minutes and they came out perfect!


One warning I will include, is..Parents, these are caffeinated! They contain the ground espresso beans, so I advise you to either bake these on a night alone or maybe bake an adult version with espresso and a child version with just the chocolate chips. Everyone wins!


See what I mean..
No No Sophie!  :)
(I made her a tiny batch...I'm a sweet mommy!)

Cheers everyone! and enjoy this "cleaner" chocolate chip cookie recipe!











No comments:

Post a Comment