Sunday, January 26, 2014

Strawberry "cheesecake" bites- Clean Version. Yes!!

My great friend asked me to try and conquer a clean recipe for a cheesecake stuffed strawberry.  I immediately started to research clean substitutes for cream cheese.  After tons of different suggestions, I decided to go with Greek Yogurt as my substitute.  It's very simple actually.  First of all, if you don't know how crazy good for you that Greek yogurt is, do some research.  The benefits alone should encourage you to eat it!(For this recipe I used one small container of Greek yogurt. It was enough for 8-10 strawberries.)
For this dessert bite, go buy you some cheesecloth.  It looks like gauze when you open the package.  But a bigger version.  Ok, got your cheesecloth?  Ok, now get your plain non fat Greek yogurt and spoon onto the cheesecloth.  Tie the cheesecloth around the Greek yogurt and secure with a rubber band, like a pouch for the yogurt.  Now, very important... Find some way to position the Greek yogurt in the cheesecloth to where it's hovering/hanging over a bowl.   Set this in your refrigerator over night or for 10 or so hours during the day.  I used my tongs and tied the cheesecloth up to where it was hanging in between the handles.  I'm handy that way! haha. 
Any how.  After 10 or so hours, the Greek yogurt will strain all the excess liquid out into the bowl, discard this liquid.  It will then look like and have the consistency of cream cheese.

I do apologize I didn't get a picture of my contraption I created to strain the yogurt.  It was quite genius.  But you can figure it out! :)  Ok, next I added 1 tbsp. or so of raw honey. Stir it up.  I am out of pure vanilla extract. However, if you have some, add a dash into this mix. I am 100% it would be delicious!

Yes, that's my kids spoon.  Don't laugh at me.
Now, once you stir this up, core out your strawberries and stuff the berries.  I toasted some pecans with cinnamon on them also and crushed them for the "graham cracker" topping.  Do this! You will be amazed at the similarity to an actual cream cheese/cheesecake stuffed strawberry.  Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment