Friday, January 24, 2014

What's for breakfast? Muffins!

If you know me, you know that I have a very energetic, needy toddler that requires my attention most of the day. Ha! And if you're a mom, you can relate! But even with the craziness of having a toddler, I have to still feed my family breakfast every single day. Yes, everyday! How dare them require food everyday??!!  Here is my solution to a busy life, but still providing something healthy to eat every morning.  My husband and toddler love this recipe and I love knowing I am giving them something hearty and filling to eat daily.
I also want to express the importance right off that you use whole oats for all of these recipes I post that include oats in the recipe. WHOLE OATS are very different from quick oats and other oats you will find on your shelf at the store.  Here is a photo of the comparison:


Here is my recipe for 6 muffins. This is easy to double. Although, since these have no preservatives like normal flour contains, I recommend eating all of them by day 3 so they don't mold. They tend to lose freshness and quite possibly will mold by day 3.

Now, this is just a base recipe. I will throw anything in these to change the flavor up.

1 cup of whole oats ground into a flour

1/4 cup of whole oats

1 egg

1/4 cup of milk

1 tbsp of cinnamon

1 tsp of baking powder

2 tbsp of melted coconut oil

1/4 cup of pecans or walnuts (optional but recommended)

2 tbsp ground flax seed (optional but recommended)

1 ripe banana

2 tbsp of honey

That's it. This is a basic recipe for a yummy and healthy breakfast muffin. Now, if this comes out a little thick, add tiny increments of milk until you get it into a slightly runny, yet thicker consistency. It should be about the consistency of a cornbread mixture or about twice as thick as a pancake mixture. I hope this helps. I am an all from scratch cook, so it does tend to come out a bit different each time. Most times, I get it right. :)

Throw all this in together. Mix up. Bake at 350 degrees until done. I set my timer for 12 minutes and keep check on them from there. These are usually done in 12-15 minutes. Just do the toothpick test until it's clean.

I have added shredded coconut to top these off. Super delicious and nutritious. I have also used a can of pumpkin puree to these. Pumpkin is extremely high in vitamin A, so I love the stuff. I will use blueberries in this recipe. Just throw them in. If you don't have a ripe banana don't stress. You can easily leave this out. Also, when I do blueberry muffins, I don't use any nuts. I just don't like that flavor combo as much as with the banana muffin and pumpkin muffin.


**Now, when buying the pumpkin, this is important!!! Buy 100% pure pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling. Photo below shows both. Do NOT buy the can on the left. Only the can on the Right. :) Thank you.



Lastly, I have been known to make these as a dessert muffin too by adding some dark chocolate chips and shredded coconut. They are delicious!

Nutritional facts: I sometimes take the time to calculate this up...for this recipe it was easy, so here ya go!

140 calories per muffin

4 g of protein (Women need 46 g a day, Men-56 g, Children-10 g of protein, so this about 11.7% of what a woman needs, and 14.25% of what a man needs)

3 g of sugar per muffin(base recipe above..if you add the chocolate or other ingredients, this will increase of course)

3 g of fat

I am including a link to the nutritional facts for oats. As you see, I use a ton of them!!
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=54


I do not have a completed photo of this muffin because I didn't take a photo before we ate them all, and I just received request I post this recipe now. So, you're on your own. :)
I sincerely hope you enjoy this recipe. It is yet another recipe I made up on a bored afternoon of needing something that my husband can grab, eat and go in the mornings. This also saves me from having to cook him breakfast daily as well as myself and Soph. She LOVES these muffins!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you soo much!!! I love the detail in explaining everything:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great loyal reader. Please enjoy!

    ReplyDelete