Thursday, January 16, 2014

Homemade antibiotic :)

Ok ok.. Pasta isn't a "clean" food, no. But the name of my blog is "clean'er'". So, I'm safe to post this amazing, blow your mind, chicken noodle soup recipe.  This is in fact a clean"er" version of your traditional chicken noodle soup.  My husband isn't thrilled I am sharing this one either. He says some of them need to be "heirloom" recipes! haha. But then how would I become famous I ask?! :)
I came up with this recipe about a year or so ago, and I make it atleast every other week.  See, on Sundays, I make a big pot of soup for the week for us to eat for lunch.  We each eat a 2 cup size serving.  This is part of our cleaner, healthy eating.  It works for us, I hope this works for you too.
I am not a big meat eater, but the anemic that I am needs some here and there.  *Hints, don't laugh at the small amount of chicken I use for this recipe.
Now, you may ask why this is a special recipe also.. It's special because of the sage in this recipe.  I wanted that really earthly feel when I eat chicken noodle.  Sage just makes me feel like it's a special occasion, kinda like Thanksgiving. :) Maybe I'm a goof..haha.. but it is the only time I really utilize my sage!

Ingredients:

3-4 chicken strips(yes.. ok, money saving tip: I buy a package of 10-12 free range chicken strips, separate them into 3 different freezer bags and freeze them.  This will make enough for 3 pots of chicken noodle. I usually pay upwards to $8 for this package)
**Celery stalks with the leaves on them!! This is KEY. In the center of your bunch of celery, there are little stalks with leaves growing off, these are yummy to use in soups!! DON'T ever throw them out! Take those buddies and boil those with your chicken.
4-5 sage leaves or 1 tsp of dried sage, not the rubbing sage you use on thanksgiving, more like crushed sage leaves (IF I had to demand you use one or the other, use fresh..it's always best. I grow it in my little herb garden out front. It is a perennial plant, meaning it comes back every year.  It will die off in the winter, but it will be back full force and huge in Spring.)
5-6 carrots (washed, I leave the skin on and slice them up)
4-5 stalks of celery washed and sliced up
1/2 an onion diced or sliced. (divided)
1/2 lb of whole grain pasta of choice (If you're gluten free, throw in your pasta of choice)
2 tbsp. of garlic POWDER
2 tbsp. of onion POWDER
2 tbsp. of salt
1 dash of pepper

Now...instructions!

Okie doke:
FIRST- boil your chicken with the celery stalks with the leaves on them, the sage and 1/4 of the onion.
Also throw all the seasonings in here too while boiling. Fill your pan full of water because this is your broth for the soup. Use a big pot.
Once the chicken is done, remove it, place on a cutting surface and cut into pieces.  Put back in broth.
Now, add all other ingredients.  Cook for 1 hour. Keep an eye on it to make sure your broth doesn't cook away.  
Meanwhile, start boiling water for your pasta.  Once boiling, add your pasta and cook til almost done..not all the way done because you will add it to the soup and it'll continue cooking!
Now add the pasta to the soup and cook an additional 30 minutes!  
Then ENJOY YOUR HOMEMADE ANTIBIOTIC!!  No more Canned crap people! Say no to MSG! Campbell's contains MSG. YUP, IT DOES.



I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do as a family.  I promised you wholesome meals, here ya go!! Low calorie, low fat, full of goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment