Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chicken "Chimichanga's" *Cleaner version*

Today's post is one you will NOT believe is diet friendly.  Like all recipes I post, this is truly an authentic Amanda creation.  I mentioned in a previous blog that I love eggroll wrappers. I love them.  We have a great relationship and I use almost a 20 pack of them weekly.  At only 170 calories for three eggroll wrappers, they are diet friendly, gluten free for those who care, nonfat and have 7 grams of protein.  Yes. It's true.  Anyways, once I discovered this glorious food item, I began doing tons of experiments with them.  I make your standard vegetable eggroll almost daily...why not?  But I went deeper than that. I created the best killer chicken chimichanga around.  I promise. :)  And again, as always, I encourage you to try this recipe.  I beg of you actually.  Are you ready? Ok.

This meal is a staple in our house.  I make it at least 2-3 times a month. 

I'm gonna give you a picture first to make sure I keep your attention!

Do I have your attention now? How delicious does that look?  Yes.  This is one of our absolute favorites and it's easy breezy! I promise!  This entire meal will take about 45 minutes to prepare, so set aside some time.

Ingredients for the chimichanga's:

1 Chicken Breast will make 4 Chimichanga's.  So plan according to how many you are making.
1/2 cup of black beans or about half a can if you are using canned.(no matter if you're using canned or cooking from dry, drain and rinse the beans.)
1/4 cup of corn(optional-I had some left from Soph munching on it as a snack)
1/2 cup of shredded skim milk mozzarella
1/4 cup of salsa or rotel
2 tbsp. of chopped cilantro (optional-I happened to have some, so..)
1 tbsp. of chopped garlic
1 tsp. of chili powder
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of onion powder
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper (or to taste)
And of course 4 eggroll wrappers(again, this is a recipe I use to make 4 chimichanga's)

Directions:
1st cook your chicken.  Once done, shred it up.  Then add your beans, corn, salsa, garlic, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper.  Cook together for about 10 or so minutes on medium low just to "marry" the ingredients.
On the side, get your eggroll wrappers ready by laying them out and sprinkling your mozzarella evenly on the 4 wrappers.  Also if you are using cilantro, add this to the eggroll wrapper now.  Once the filling has cooled for about 10 minutes, add the chicken & vegetable mix to the eggroll wrapper and follow the wrapping instructions as it states on the package.
Now, it a non stick pan, put a tbsp. of sunflower oil(or whatever you like to use) and cook each side until golden brown.  Just about 2 minutes or so on each side.  That's it! Then you have your "cleaner" version of a chicken chimichanga!! I expect tons of thank you emails for this one! :)
 
 I mean come on...How can you not try these??
 

Need more proof??


As you see, we paired our chimichanga's with a guacamole salad.  My recipe is simple.  Avocado, minced garlic, salt and pepper, cumin and lemon juice. I am not a fan of chunky guac, so this is my recipe.




And a dipping sauce of salsa. You can't go wrong with that! Now, these tortilla chips you see are baked whole wheat, organic tortillas.  Picture will follow.  I brushed them with sunflower oil and put a little garlic powder on them and baked them at 350 for about 8 minutes, or until crispy.  Keep an eye on these.  8 pretty good size chips are 120 calories and 0 fat.



I highly recommend this brand if you have a whole foods near you.  They are preservative free.  This allows them to maintain that "cleaner" reputation I am looking for.
I seriously hope you give this one a shot! If you love deep fried chimichanga's, save your arteries and enjoy this happy happy medium I have created for you all!!! :0)

I'll save the best info for last.  This meal as I have prepared it comes in under 500 calories.  120 for the tortilla chips I made.  113 calories for 2 eggroll wrappers.  Roughly 120 calories for the one chicken breast(so cut that in half and you have 60 calories for the two chimichanga's). And I would wrap it up with MAYBE, IF EVEN 150 calories for the guacamole, beans, and corn(per serving).  I am 100% confident this will fill you up, and satisfy your Mexican food cravings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment