Friday, January 31, 2014

My "Cleaner" Version of Chinese Food

If you're like me, you love Chinese Food.  I could literally eat it everyday.  And I kind of do actually. I've mentioned several times how much I love these eggroll wrappers.  Well I do.  Like I've said, they are so versatile and easy to make.  This creation was one of my first times actually working with rice noodles, and I have to say I loved them!  They only take 10 minutes to prepare.  Super easy. Super good. And totally not bad for you at all like other noodles can be.  These rice noodles can be prepared more of an Asian style, like below, or I also prepared your standard pesto sauce(garlic, basil, oil, lemon, and salt n pepper) and topped them off with that one night too for a quick side to our usual vegetables.  If you have noticed, we eat a lot of broccoli.  I mean ALOT. :)   
 
 


This is one meal that will not disappoint.  It's much healthier than any nasty, germ infested Chinese buffet you will find yourself at.  Not to mention how much you will totally over eat at any buffet. I've been there, I know. 

Ready for the recipe? :)

Ingredients for noodle & vegetable medley:

1/2 box of rice noodles was plenty for Aaron and me(and Soph had a small portion too). So an entire box will feed about a family of 4-5
1 head of broccoli
3 carrots sliced
2 cups of shredded red cabbage
1-2 tbsp. of sunflower oil
4 green onions finely chopped- as a garnish
1 tsp. of soy sauce per person(low sodium)**this is not a "clean" food item I know, but my blog is about eating "cleaner" just to clarify
1 tsp. of garlic powder
1 tsp. of onion powder
2 tsp. of honey

For the noodles, just boil 6 cups of water, add noodles and set aside.  Let noodles sit for 5 or so minutes or until soft. Easy. Done.
For the veggies, sauté in the sunflower oil, season as listed. I cook my vegetables for about 15 minutes or until slightly softened. Easy. Breezy.
For this recipe, if you are needing some protein, you could boil an egg and chop up as a garnish and it'd be delicious.




Ingredients for the eggrolls:
4 eggroll wrappers
2 cups of shredded cabbage
1/2 cup of shredded/diced onion
1/2 cup of shredded carrots
1 tsp. of ginger powder
1 tbsp. of onion powder
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
*A lot of times, I will add a dash of sraracha to this too :)

For the eggrolls:  Put all vegetables and seasoning together in a non-stick pan with a tsp. of sunflower oil. Sautee until soft (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before loading up the eggroll wrappers.  Now, in the same pan, put about a tbsp. of sunflower oil in it, and c cook the eggrolls on each side until brown.  As I've said before(because I have already posted these eggrolls), I pair ours with a serving size(1 tbsp.) of red chili sauce.  It's a must.  My husband will top his off with honey once and while. That's pretty delicious too!


 
This entire "cleaner" version of Chinese food is under 600 calories!!
Not too shabby when you consider going to a Chinese buffet will set you back on average 2000 calories! Yes. I Googled it! ha-ha.  Not to mention it's crazy expensive if you have a family of more than 2 people! This whole meal will only set you back the cost of one buffet. :) Enjoy!

Nutritional Values: 
Rice noodles with Vegetables: 340 calories, 0.5 grams of fat
Eggrolls: 220 calories with sauce 1, g of fat

Any questions? Leave a comment in the comment box to the right of this post! Cheers~Amanda








No comments:

Post a Comment