Saturday, January 25, 2014

5 ways to use that unwanted over ripe banana!

I saw a post this morning on Facebook that caught my attention:  The health benefits of an over ripe banana.  The research done about the over ripe fruit was one that related it to having anti-cancer nutritional qualities.  Now, I have never heard that or looked into the healthy benefits of the over ripe fruit,  I've just simply always looked to it as a natural source of sugar for my baking and smoothie benefit! :0)  So, I knew from that post and the conversations that it peaked in my friends, that I would need to post the uses of this heavenly natural and healthy sugar source!
 

I keep ripe bananas around my house all the time.  I use them for several purposes, but today I will list 5.

1.) Muffins.  I posted my muffin recipe on here yesterday.  I hope you try and enjoy it.  This is just one way I use these treats.  Mash it, and add it to the recipe and boom, sweetness that's natural and won't mess up your waistline!

2.) Smoothies.  I make smoothies every couple of days or so.  I use one banana like above, 1 tbsp. of pb2 or peanut butter if you chose, 1 tbsp. of honey-sometimes, a couple of cubes of ice, and ab 1/4 cup of milk of choice.  Blend it up, Smoothie time! You can add anything to this base recipe for a smoothie..berries, cocoa, cinnamon..whatever!

3.) "Nice"cream.  This is my personal favorite and my husband and toddler love it too! Take this banana, peel it.  Slice it up. Freeze it in a freezer safe bag.  Remove when frozen, add it to the blender along with a dash of milk(1-2 tbsp.), 1 tbsp. of honey-optional, and about 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder. *Blend until creamy like icecream. Boom! Chocolate "nice"cream.  I also substitute the cocoa for cinnamon and it makes amazing cinnamon "nice"cream. It's seriously ridiculous good.  I have also topped this treat off with toasted pecans and my oh my. DE-LISH-US!

4.) Cookies.  I have also posted an oatmeal cookie recipe on my blog.  I would throw this banana in any cookie recipe as the sugar substitute. Any cookie recipe. Easy Breezy and no bad sugar to feel guilty about.

5.) Pancakes.  Seriously...same as before. I have posted a pancake recipe on my blog.  Again, use the banana as a substitute for honey or any sugars from your usual pancake, cookie, muffin recipe instead of wasting it or throwing it away!! Please!

That's it people.  It's that simple. And I'd also like to add these foods don't come out tasting like one big banana something! They will taste like the ingredients you add to them.  The banana is just a base, a substitute for sugar.  I seriously encourage you to all try these ideas.  ESPECIALLY THE NICECREAM. You will  thank me.  :) *I do have a photo of my banana nice cream on my instagram account.  I tried to post it on here, but it won't let me for some reason..

Lastly, check with your grocery store about the ripe bananas being cheaper.  I shop at Kroger, and ripe bananas are usually bunched together with red tape and are significantly cheaper than the under ripe bananas.  This way you can buy your green ones to eat and the slightly over ripe-over ripe bananas for these purposes. 

Cheers everyone! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment